Thursday, January 27, 2011

Bathroom Overhaul Days 3&4

Well, today I got everything off the walls. Finally. All the wallpaper, all the paper under the wallpaper, all the plaster that was covering up holes, and most of the wallpaper glue. My dad stopped by this morning to assess my progress and the severity of the walls, and thankfully, he said it wasn't going to be too bad to repair. Hooray! I'm going to have to fill in the big holes with some newspaper and plaster over them, let the plaster dry and sand them down to be flush with the rest of the walls...which might take a couple of days, which is fine; I've got time! After I get the holes patched, I'm going to paint on some Kilz to get rid of any mold/mildew residue that might be left over, and prevent it from coming back. Then he said I can buy some kind of texture stuff to put on the walls so all the imperfections [cracks, bumps, unevenness, etc. ] won't be noticeable! Once all that is complete, which I'm expecting to take at least a week, I'll be ready to paint! I was discussing the walls with V last night and how there's still wallpaper behind the terlit and the vanity, and I asked him what we were going to do about it. He said he would get the vanity out sometime soon and that we were going to be getting a new one after I finish painting! YAY! I was browsing around the bathroom department while I was at Home Depot this morning, and I found a nice vanity, that comes with a sink to set on top, for $128 which isn't bad at all! Then I was looking at the mirrors, because I'd like to get a newer, nicer looking one, and they're only like $50. We'll also have to find a matching medicine cabinet to put above the terlit, and definitely get a new light fixture. In like a month, our bathroom is going to look awesome and I'm so excited! Anyways, here's pictures from yesterday's work, to today's progress:
























I have to do some homework now. I'll leave you with this:



















My dad told me I should wear a mask while I was scraping off the plaster because back in the good ol' days, asbestos was used in like everything, and he wanted me to protect my lungs as best as I could. Thanks, dad <3

No comments:

Post a Comment