Friday, July 20, 2012

Tug-of-Opossum

This morning I woke up and got ready to go to Savannah's house to run some errands and hang out for the day. While I was getting ready I let the dogs outside, and a few minutes after they were out Lacey started barking. Usually I don't think anything of it because she barks a lot when she's outside. But she wasn't stopping. So I walked out to the porch to beckon them inside, to see them playing tug-of-war with an opossum. I didn't know what it was at first, and I thought it was a cat, so I, of course, freaked out. I called V to tell him what was going on (choking back tears), and he told me to just leave it alone and he would handle it when he got home. A couple minutes later (after talking to my bestie on the phone, and then V again), I walked out to investigate a little more, to find the poor little thing (that I still thought was a kitty cat) breathing. OMG. I was so sad because I knew it was just laying there, suffering in pain because of my crazy, instinctive, dogs. (I had to keep reminding myself that they are dogs and this is what they do...no matter how domesticated I think they might be, they still have canine instincts that force them to become wild at the sight of anything that moves.

Then I called my sister, who laughed at me and told me to call animal control. So I did some Googling and found a company and called them. The lady on the phone told me that it would be between $100-$150 for them to come out and capture the creature. I told her I didn't have that kind of money and hung up. Ha.

When I peeked out the window of the sliding glass door, I saw the back half of its body disappearing into a big bush we have, that was nearby the original crime scene...which is when I discovered it was an opossum. I could tell by the tail. That made me feel a little bit better (because it wasn't a sweet kitty), but I was still disgusted!

I finished getting ready and headed to Savannah's house.


We spent the day getting our nails done and getting her ready for her week long mission trip that she's leaving for tomorrow! After my fiasco this morning, all I wanted to do was get away from my opossum-mouth dogs. Ew.

When V got home, he looked around the yard and found the poor little guy still laying in the bush in the backyard. He decided to bring him a block over, where theres a grassy area that leads to a canal. 




He had the golf club just in case the thing tried to bite him, he could shove it away with something other than his hands.

I still haven't let either of the dogs lick me.


No comments:

Post a Comment