Thursday, January 31, 2013

Gypped

I need to take a deep breath.

For Christmas, we did Secret Santa for the last two years with my sisters and their significant others. It just started getting too out of control to have to buy for all three of them and all three of their men, so I decided to do Secret Santa between the 8 of us. So on Thanksgiving we all draw names and spend at least $50 on whoever we chose to ensure that no one gets a shitty present, since we're only getting one.

I probably told you this already, but last year Sarah had me and gave me a bunch of shit. I'd be surprised if she spend more than ten dollars. Used books, clothes that used to belong to her, dish soap, and other random, useless shit. This year I was determined for someone good to get me, so I told Lindsey that we should rig it and have Sarah and Marc (Sarah's boyfriend or whateverthefuck he is to her) get each other so no one gets gypped like I did last year. Lindsey said she would handle it. Well apparently Sarah (or Marc, I'm not even sure) put up a stink about them having each other so Lindsey traded with Marc. She had me. Which means, now Marc has me. Great.

I didn't know any of this until Christmas morning when I opened my gift, I was pleasantly surprised to see a $50 gift card and a ring pop. Fair enough. $50 to my choice of 4 different restaurants. Cool.

A couple weekends later, I decided to use the gift card at Macaroni Grill. We never eat there because they're overpriced, but I figured with a $50 gift card, we could spend less than twenty bucks, easy. So we eat and I give them the gift card and they come back to tell me that it isn't working. *insert embarrassment* So now we have to pay for a $60+ dinner that we weren't expecting to pay for. How nice.

On the way home, I call the 1-800 number on the back of the card to find out what the balance is. It says that the card hasn't been activated. Hmm. I text Lindsey and tell her and she's like "well maybe you have to call a number and activate it before you can use it". Thanks for the optimism, Linds. Then I text Sarah and tell her and she's all like "OMG that's weird, I was with Marc when he bought it. I don't see why it isn't working. I'll see if he has the receipt". YEAH RIGHT.

I forgot about it for a while, but I just called customer service and spoke to someone and they told me that the reason I can't obtain the balance is because there was never any money put on the card. How nice.

For the second year in a row I've been gypped from my stupid sister on Christmas. I don't see how a person could gift an empty gift card to someone on Christmas. I would feel like the worst person in the world if I ever did that. Nope, I take that back, I WOULD NEVER DO THAT.

I feel like such an idiot for being upset about this, but I can't help it.

I'm so over her. Everything about her. I'm just over it. I don't know how we're even related. 

No comments:

Post a Comment