Friday, June 10, 2011

Ellie

Okay, so remember my post about Ellie's legs on Tuesday? Well, I decided maybe she sprained or pulled a muscle, and I'd see how things went over the next couple days. Wednesday came and went and she wasn't worse, but she wasn't better. Same with yesterday. This morning I woke up and got her off the couch (because she can't jump up/down on her own), and set her down on the carpet close to the door so she could go outside. Her legs spread out to both sides and she collapsed. I picked her up and put her in the grass so she could do her business and she tried to crouch down to tinkle and couldn't. She peed standing straight up. When I got inside I called the vet and made an appointment. I'm taking her soon and I'm very scared and nervous.



















:[ I'll let you know how things go at the vet.

EDIT:
We are home from the vet, she has been diagnosed with IVD, or a herniated spinal disc :[ We were sent home with some anti-inflammatory pills and some to ease her pain. She's supposed to take them with food, but she hasn't been eating much, so when we got home, I wanted to give her the meds to try and make her start feeling better as soon as possible, so I hand fed her, and she ate! About as much as she normally does in one setting, so thats great. I also gave her some water, and she drank a good amount. I've tried assisting her outside (holding her back half up with a towel while walking), so she could try and go potty,  but she won't even walk with the towel, and she cannot keep herself up without it. Doctor said we need to keep her as immobile as possible for the next 2 or 3 weeks (!). He suggested keeping her in a crate but she absolutely hates crates and I didn't want to stress her out if I could avoid it, so I have a little corner set up for her in the living room with some water and a pillow and I keep her in with a baby gate. It works perfectly. That will only be used if I'm not sitting in the living room because if I'm at home and not busy, she just wants to be next to me. Proof:



















Laying across my lap.

I hope she gets better a lot quicker than estimated. I want my happy, energetic, crazy Ellie back. It makes me so sad seeing her like this because it's just not her :[

No comments:

Post a Comment