Thursday, August 30, 2012

Change of Plans...!

Well. I made the executive decision last night that I don't want to be an interpreter. Let's get real here, people. I'm not good at signing and I probably never will be. I'm decent, and I can communicate with a Deaf person, yes, but I'm not good enough to be dependent on to teach someone else about something, all with my hands.

When I started at Valencia in the Spring of 2010, my plan was to be an elementary school teacher. Then Debbie came along last summer and told me I needed to be an interpreter. So I changed my major from elementary education, to ASL interpreting. (Bad decision!). I didn't really like the interpreting classes last semester, but I figured I'd give Interpreting II a chance. Or not. I'm not giving up, I'm not quitting, I'm just changing my mind. In my heart, when I think about being an interpreter, I don't get excited. I get scared, and nervous, and more scared. When I think about being a teacher, I get butterflies and I get all giddy and smiley and that's how it should be. When you think about what you want to do for the rest of your life, it should make you happy!

So I went up to school this morning to talk to an advisor. She told me that if I want to graduate in December (which I do, so I can start at UCF in January and get the ball rolling there), I would have to change my major before the 4th. If I change my major, none of the classes I'm in now will be covered under my financial aid, so I'd have to pay for them out of pocket (which is completely out of the question). Unfortunately I had to drop my ASL IV class and the fingerspelling class. I'm really disappointed about that, because I still love ASL, and I was looking forward to getting a little bit better, but I can't pay for them myself. There's one education class left that isn't needed for graduation, but if I took it at VC it would just be cheaper than at UCF, so I want to try and sign up for a flex-start course they're offering that starts in October, but if I do, again, I will have to pay for it out of pocket. One class is a little more manageable, but I'm still not sure if we can swing it. I might just save it for UCF and have my financial aid pay for it there.

If that's the case, I might not be taking any classes this semester. It kind of feels like a waste, but there isn't anything I can do! Just keep looking forward to starting at UCF (OMG, IT'S SUCH A BIG CAMPUS) in January!

Phew. I can't actually believe this is happening. I'm so thrilled to be a teacher just two short years from now! (Unless I can do it faster!)

Graduation is in December, but apparently there is only 1 actual ceremony held per year, and it's in May, so I'm obviously not going. I'll be at UCF already and I think it would be a little silly to attend. I'm really excited to be at a new school and see what UCF is like! My first university! EEP!


No comments:

Post a Comment