Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Planet Yoga


I have to share with you, dear reader, my new discovery. As you know, I am a yoga loving gal with a little over two and a half years of practice under my belt. I know, in the yoga world that two and a half years isn't much, but it is for me. Especially considering I'm this far in and still loving it with no plans to ever stop practicing. Ever. Well, recently, we have been practicing in our backyard in the evenings. Our backyard isn't the quietest place, so for me to have a good practice, I had to listen to what was inside and not the traffic flying by on the expressway, or our noisy neighbors and their barking dogs. Practicing on your own is difficult. It's up to you to flow, and it takes a lot of thought. What pose am I going to do next? Wait…which side did I just do? After a few backyard sessions, I began to learn that if I just listen to my breath, things will just flow without a thought. Within the last ten days, I have practiced five. The first day I spent my entire practice in my body and kept my ujjayi breath strong about 95% of the class. I was thrilled after class when I realized that the only thing I had thought about for the last hour was my breath. I was inside my body, listening to what it had to say and focused on keeping my breath steady. I thought maybe it was just a fluke and I was having a really great day. Then the next class I went to…same thing! But this time I had a steady breath the entire class. 100% of the time. This has continued to stick with me thus far and I could not be happier.

I have found my breath.

I noticed yesterday in class that my heart rate would increase, my heart pounding in my chest, but my breath would stay steady, deep, strong, and smooth. Incredible. I have discovered a whole new world to my yoga practice. It's literally like I'm on another planet when I practice now. I don't pay attention to anything surrounding me, and the teacher's instructions are an afterthought. I feel completely different throughout my practice now, and its reviving. Last night after class, I was ready for another. I felt so energized and fresh, I could have practiced for at least another hour!

I don't even know what to say about this discovery, other than that it is amazing. I don't know what else yoga has in store for me, but I am looking forward to whatever comes my way.


P.S. I'm dying my hair this month. For the first time evar! I'm going a little ombre for the summer and I'm quite excited to see it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment