Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Change of Major

OMG. Today after my ASL class, I stayed after to tell my professor that I'd be missing a day in October. She told me it was no big deal and not to worry about it. Then she asked me what I was majoring in, so I told her "elementary ed" and she looked me in the eyes, put both hands on my shoulders and told me I need to be an interpreter. She can see it in me that that's what I should be. She was like "you might not see it, but I do, and I know you'd be great at it". Then she pointed out how much more money I'd be making and how much happier I'd be. Then she told me to come back at 11:15 so we can talk more. So I left and thought about it nonstop until I went back to meet her. She wrote out a schedule for my next three semesters at Valencia and told me exactly which classes to take, and that after I was done I could either go to USF or UNF. USF is a lot closer and I don't want to move, so I'd have to commute like twice a week (an hour and a half one way). But it would only be for two years. Then she told me that if I didn't do it, I would regret it and after being burnt out three years after I start teaching, I'd be cursing myself, wishing I had listened to her. So I'm doing it. After I left her office, I went and filled out a "change of major" form and turned it in. OMG.

I had been second guessing teaching ever since my sister started. Not because of her classes or anything, because of the whole school system. So when she said that to me, it was like a sign. No one has ever said anything like that to me, so it means a lot. Especially because I'm not very good, but I guess I look better than I think, and I look like I have a lot of potential. Holy cannoli. I'm terrified. Everything is so different right in this moment than it was 24 hours ago. I had been planning to be a teacher for at least the last 5 years now, and all of a sudden, it's all changed. Not that I can't change my mind back to being a teacher, but I think this is what's supposed to happen. If I miss being around kids, I can be a teacher for little Deaf kiddies <3


I'm excited and scared and so many other emotions all at the same time, but they're all good. Even the scary ones. Holy crap. 

What a day! And it's not even over! Who knows how awesome yoga is going to be tonight because of how my day has been. I told my dad that maybe I'll teach Deaf yoga one day. He giggled. But I was serious. How awesome would that be? Challenging, yes, but so rewarding. 

I need to take a breather and stop. Take in everything that has happened today and sit on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment